Helpful Guide To Avoid Breaks & Unplanned Office Visits
You’ve probably heard from your parents, friends, and even your orthodontist, the long list of foods and beverages that you should avoid while wearing braces. While it may seem like you’re giving up a lot, it is important to avoid eating certain foods, but you can still eat and drink most things. Here’s a quick list of foods to avoid and a few of the foods you can enjoy while wearing braces.
FOODS YOU CAN ENJOY WITH BRACES
• Dairy — soft cheese, pudding, milk-based drinks.
• Breads — soft tortillas, pancakes, muffins without nuts.
• Grains — pasta, soft cooked rice.
• Meats/poultry — chicken, steak, deli
• Seafood— tuna, salmon, crab cakes.
• Vegetables — soft, leafy, or cooked veggies
• Fruits — applesauce, bananas, sliced fruit, most berries (watch
out for seeds)
• Treats — ice cream without nuts, milkshakes, cake.
• Wine — yes, lots of good wine:-)
FOODS YOU SHOULD AVOID WITH BRACES
• Ice — At least not if you chew on it.
• Potato Chips — Be really careful with these.
• Caramel — Sticky goo which pulls off brackets.
• Some Breads — Bend wires and break brackets.
• Beef Jerky — Tough as nails.
• Hard Candy/Suckers — You might forget and bite.
• Nuts — No nuts of any kind.
• Ribs — Knock off brackets.
• Popcorn — Hulls get caught between gums and bands.
• Raw carrots — Try to avoid raw carrots.
• Apples — You can eat them, just cut them up first. Sorry, no
• Corn on the cob — Can stay in your teeth for weeks.